B4BEL4B is accepting applications for Curators-in-Residence
B4BEL4B is looking for curators to conceptualize and organize exhibitions with public programs that engage with the local community while encouraging artists and to challenge themselves and viewers. Programs should focus on critical and contemporary issues we face locally and globally through the lens of new media and transdisciplinary art in alignment with B4BEL4B’s mission, and push to foster dialogue between diverse communities.
Supported by B4BEL4B, this role offers an opportunity for curators and artists-as-curators to develop and expand the scope of their practice. Through exhibition series, creating & testing new programming, and managing community facing activities this role encompasses all facets of gallery operations.
Curators will have access to the gallery to create and conceptualize exhibitions and public programming, meet and develop work with artists, and a small seed fund over a 3-month span.
Expectations of role:
- Solicit and select artists for 1 exhibition per quarter in 2019
- Oversee the planning, budgeting and installation for each exhibition
- Bring a unique curatorial vision to the gallery in alignment with our mission
- Create or bring in community members to help program non-exhibition related events (lectures, workshops, film screenings, participatory events, etc.)
- Help maintain scheduled gallery hours (schedule is very flexible)
- This opportunity is best suited toward those with some experience organizing and installing visual and new media art exhibitions, emerging curators are welcome to apply
- Awareness of contemporary arts issues, inclusivity, diversity, social issues, and how they relate to Oakland’s diverse communities
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Grant writing and fundraising skills are a plus
- Ability to organize and communicate messages effectively through writing and public presentation