B4BEL4B is accepting applications for a Curator-in-Residence and Program Manager.
Your goal will be to conceptualize and organize events and exhibitions that engage with the local community while encouraging artists and curators to challenge themselves and viewers around contemporary issues we face locally and globally through the lens of new media and interdisciplinary art.
Supported by B4BEL4B, this role offers an opportunity for curators and artists-as-curators to develop and expand the scope of their practice. Through exhibition series, creating & testing new programming, and managing community facing activities this role encompasses all facets of gallery operations.
Expectations of role:
- Solicit and select artists for 1 exhibition per quarter; with the potential for year round programming
- Oversee the planning, budgeting and installation for each exhibition
- Bring a unique curatorial vision to the gallery in alignment with our mission
- Create or bring in community members to help program non-exhibition related events (lectures, film series, etc.)
- Maintain scheduled gallery hours (schedule is very flexible)
- This opportunity is best suited toward those with some experience organizing and installing visual and new media art exhibitions, emerging curators are welcome
- Awareness of contemporary arts issues, inclusivity, diversity, social issues, and how they relate to Oakland’s diverse communities
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Grant writing and fundraising skills are a plus
- Ability to organize and communicate messages effectively through writing and public presentation
- Contact information (name, email, address, telephone, and website, if applicable)
- Name, email, and telephone number of two professional references
- Professional resume
- Curatorial statement and/or vision for Curator-in-Residence program (250-500 words)
- Writing sample (250-500 words)
- Links to CV or previous exhibitions curated or art events produced
- We encourage active practitioners in the community with an emphasis on diversity across geographic, cultural, ethnic, gender, and creative backgrounds to apply
Please send all the following info in pdf format with embedded links to: firstname.lastname@example.org